Chronicles of my adventure down under!

**Comments**

If you don't have a Google account, you can post comments under "Anonymous".

Monday, July 30

Constant State of Confusion

So after two weeks, I'm figuring out that constantly being confused all the time is just me adjusting to Australian culture! I keep thinking that I'm so glad that I speak English because otherwise I wouldn't be able to get anywhere or really accomplish anything. It's amazing how it's really the little things that make a difference. The biggest "culture shock" so far was eating at a little cafe yesterday. We were starving and just wanted to grab a quick bite. I really didn't expect the food (and service) to be so different here. For those that know me well, I'm a very picky eater and try to eat as little meat as possible. Well, I'm learning that being a vegetarian is not easy around here! I was already forced to eat a sausage last weekend because I had no other choice. So after about 15 minutes of trying to find a vegetarian option on the menu, I gave up and ordered pasta with chicken. 15 minutes passed... thirty minutes past and no food arrived. At this point, we drank our entire pitcher of water, and the waiter was no where in sight to fill it up. I was practically staring him down, and he still didn't come over! Eventually we got our food, and it was such a tiny dish. All I wanted was to stuff my face with food :( Then we couldn't figure out how to pay. I guess you had to go up to the counter, but they didn't even bring the receipt to the table so we just sat there staring at the wall. Now I know this does not sound like a big deal, but it's just kind of embaressing having to ask such silly questions all the time. I'm slowly mastering the bus system so I have faith I will eventually learn how to order food at a restaurant as well :)

No comments: